Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -SecureWealth Bridge
Rekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 07:13:40
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (7976)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Hollywood studios offer counterproposal to screenwriters in effort to end strike
- Southern Baptist leader resigns over resume lie about education
- ‘Born again in dogs’: How Clear the Shelters became a year-round mission for animal lovers
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Federal investigators deploy to Maui to assist with fire probe
- ‘Born again in dogs’: How Clear the Shelters became a year-round mission for animal lovers
- Look Hot and Stay Cool With Summer Essentials Picked by Real Housewives of Atlanta's Kandi Burruss
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Japan’s Kishida to visit Fukushima plant to highlight safety before start of treated water release
Ranking
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- 'Wait Wait' for August 19, 2023: 25th Anniversary Spectacular, Part VI!
- A former New York bishop has died at 84. He promoted social justice, but covered up rape allegations
- Commanders make long-awaited QB call, name Sam Howell starter
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- ‘Born again in dogs’: How Clear the Shelters became a year-round mission for animal lovers
- Scam artists are posing as Maui charities. Here's how to avoid getting duped.
- All talk and, yes, action. Could conversations about climate change be a solution?
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
New Jersey requires climate change education. A year in, here's how it's going
Saints: Jimmy Graham back with team after stopped by police during ‘medical episode’
Grand jury decides against charges in police shooting of NJ backhoe driver who damaged homes, cars
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Group of Lizzo's dancers release statement defending singer amid lawsuit
Trump says he will skip GOP presidential primary debates
Grand jury decides against charges in police shooting of NJ backhoe driver who damaged homes, cars