Current:Home > NewsNew Hampshire considers greatly expanding scope of settlement fund for youth center abuse victims -SecureWealth Bridge
New Hampshire considers greatly expanding scope of settlement fund for youth center abuse victims
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 07:27:10
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Lawyers representing 1,400 men and woman who allege they were abused as children at New Hampshire’s youth detention centers said Tuesday they will recommend the state’s out-of-court settlement option for most of their clients if lawmakers approve a plan to greatly expand its scope.
The state faces about 1,200 lawsuits alleging physical, sexual and emotional abuse stretching back six decades at the Sununu Youth Services Center, formerly called the Youth Development Center, in Manchester. As an alternative to litigation, lawmakers established a $100 million settlement fund with a two-year application period that started in January 2023, but most alleged victims have opted to go to court instead.
A bill before the Senate Judiciary Committee, however, would make sweeping changes to the settlement process, including adding multiple new categories of abuse. Under the current system, former center residents can make claims based on sexual assault or first- and second-degree physical assault. The bill proposes allowing claims based on a slew of other crimes, including reckless conduct, criminal threatening, child endangerment, solitary confinement, unlawful strip-search and intentional inflection of emotional distress.
The bill was the result of intense and at times contentious negotiations between the attorney general’s office and lawyers for the victims, both sides acknowledged Tuesday. Supporters called it a compromise that will better serve victims while possibly protecting the state from astronomical jury awards.
“As much as we should be ashamed of what happened at YDC we should be proud that we’re making these efforts to make it right,” Attorney General John Formella told the committee.
The scandal came to light in 2019 after two former workers were charged with abusing David Meehan, a former resident who filed the first lawsuit in 2020 and has gone public with his story. Eleven former workers are now facing criminal charges, with both the first criminal trial and the first civil trial scheduled for April.
Meehan, whose civil case will be heard first, and hundreds of others plan to continue their litigation, said Attorney Rus Rilee, who together with the Nixon Peabody law firm represents 1,400 former residents who allege abuse between 1960 and 2019, about 1,200 of whom have filed lawsuits.
“While this bill isn’t perfect, it is certainly an improvement on the current fund, and we believe it will be a good option for the vast majority of our clients which we will encourage them to explore,” Rilee said in a text message.
Some of his clients say they were gang raped, beaten while being raped and forced to sexually abuse each other. Staff members also are accused of choking children, beating them unconscious, burning them with cigarettes and breaking their bones.
Under the current settlement fund, victims of sexual assault are eligible for up to $1.5 million, while payments for physical abuse are limited to $150,000. Under the new proposal, victims of “egregious sexual abuse” would be eligible for up to $2.5 million, victims of non-sexual abuse could get up to $250,000 and those claiming solitary confinement could get up to $100,000. The filing period for claims would be extended by six months to June 30, 2025.
While the changes would almost certainly result in total payouts exceeding the current $100 million, the bill also calls for allowing the fund’s administrator to require settlements to be paid in yearly increments instead of lump sums. So far, 307 claims have been filed and 102 have been settled, with an average award of $492,000, Formella said.
One of the current claimants, Brett Malcolm, sent the committee a letter in which he described the process as a “nightmare.” At one point, a representative from the attorney general’s office questioned whether he was eligible because his alleged abuse happened not at the detention center but at a state-run residential facility for children with educational and behavioral problems.
“Because I was a kid with emotional challenges, instead of a kid who committed a crime, what happened to me doesn’t matter? Hearing that was incredibly frustrating,” he wrote. “It made me feel like the State didn’t care about what happened to me, which is exactly how I felt when I was a kid being beaten and raped. The settlement fund experience made me feel like a victim again.”
Malcolm, who like Meehan has been public about his experiences, urged the committee to support the bill.
“Revisiting these memories is not easy for any of the victims, and we want to believe the settlement fund process is on our side,” he wrote. “That’s what the proposed changes will do.”
While only 11 former youth center workers have been arrested, an Associated Press analysis of more than 1,000 lawsuits filed by former residents found hundreds of cases still eligible for possible prosecution. Formella’s office has declined to say whether more charges are coming but says the investigation remains active.
veryGood! (66)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- European Parliament president backs UN naming an envoy to help restart Cyprus peace talks
- Taiwan unveils first domestically made submarine to help defend against possible Chinese attack
- How to make a Contact Poster in iOS 17: Enable the new feature with these simple steps.
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Kansas police chief suspended in wake of police raid on local newspaper
- Climate solutions are necessary. So we're dedicating a week to highlighting them
- A fight over precious groundwater in a rural California town is rooted in carrots
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Louisiana Tech's Brevin Randle suspended by school after head stomp of UTEP lineman
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Who is Arthur Engoron? Judge weighing future of Donald Trump empire is Ivy League-educated ex-cabbie
- The Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce romance is fake. You know it is. So what? Let's enjoy it.
- Connecticut enacts its most sweeping gun control law since the Sandy Hook shooting
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Taylor Swift's 'open invitation' from the NFL: A Hail Mary pass to Gen Z and female fans
- Armenia grapples with multiple challenges after the fall of Nagorno-Karabakh
- ‘PAW Patrol’ shows bark at box office while ‘The Creator’ and ‘Dumb Money’ disappoint
Recommendation
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
The Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce romance is fake. You know it is. So what? Let's enjoy it.
The community of traveling families using the globe as their classroom is growing. Welcome to the world school revolution
Deaf couple who made history scaling Everest aims to inspire others
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Las Vegas Aces and New York Liberty set for WNBA Finals as top two teams face off
David Beckham reflects on highs and lows in ‘Beckham’ doc, calls it an ‘emotional rollercoaster’
Yes, Pete Davidson's Dating History Was Stacked Well Before He Was Linked to Madelyn Cline
Tags
Like
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 7 sets of remains exhumed, 59 graves found after latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims
- Parenting tip from sons of ex-MLB players: Baseball – and sports – is least important thing